We believe in exploring the natural wonders of our region and want you to join us! HCLT's popular Eco Tours are guided adventures led by experts in their field.
- Renewing or Current Members: $10 per person (includes lunch on the trail). Please feel free to contact us if you are unsure of your membership status.
- New Members: we ask that you join the land trust at any level (starting at $35) and you will receive one free EcoTour admission (including 1 free lunch on the trail), and a one-year membership to Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust. For each additional person in your party the cost is $10.
- Reservations: follow the online link below or contact email@example.com or 828-526-1111. (Registration opens one month prior to the event date.)
- Payments: you can make your payment the day of (cash or check) or before the trip via check (sent to PO Box 1703, Highlands, NC 28741) or by credit card online.
- Cancellations: if you need to cancel for any reason, please let us know at least 48 hours before the tour date/time. If you cancel with less than 48 hours of notice, we ask that you please honor your payment.
6/21 Bartram Trail Hike (9AM - 2PM)
Join us for a hike along the Bartram Trail from Jones Gap to Whiterock Mountain. Learn about the unique flora and fauna along the trail and hear stories about William Bartram’s travels from the Bartram Trail Society’s Walter Wingfield and Brent Martin. Enjoy beautiful views and a picnic lunch (provided by the Land Trust) at an overlook on Whiterock Mountain before heading back on the trail.
Distance: 4.6 miles round trip
Difficulty level: moderate-difficult, a narrow trail travels over uneven ground with roots and rocks
7/25 Geology of Waterfalls Tour
This waterfall excursion will be led by Bill Jacobs, geology buff and author of the book 'Whence These Special Places? The Geology of Cashiers, Highlands & Panthertown Valley' (coming in June 2019). We will visit three waterfalls on this tour, each of which represents a different type of rock formation and composition: Silver Run Falls (25 ft. falls on the headwaters to Whitewater River), Sliding Rock Falls (10 ft falls on the Chattooga River), and King Creek Falls (70 ft. falls on the headwaters of the Chattooga in SC). Learn about the geology of our unique area as well as some of our natural heritage along the way. Enjoy a picnic lunch at one of the falls (provided by HCLT).
Distance: ~2 miles total (Silver Run = ½ mile RT, Sliding Rock = ½ mile RT, King Creek Falls = 1 mile RT)
Difficulty level: mostly moderate with a few difficult spots with rocks and roots.
8/29 Pond Hollow
Pond Hollow is a privately owned property conserved by Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust. Learn about the unique beauty and diversity of this property and explore its forest, wetland, headwater streams, and pollinator meadow. Enjoy a picnic lunch (provided by HCLT) surrounded by wildflowers and mountain views. Find out how this peaceful and important landscape will be protected forever.
Distance: ~2 miles total
Difficulty level: mostly moderate with a few difficult spots – this includes walking a short distance on a busy road, stepping over at least one log, and a short distance of uneven rocky terrain with rocks and roots and potentially wet/slick areas.
9/27 Annual Satulah-bration Hike*
As part of our 4th annual Satulah-bration, we will hike from Founder's Park to the summit of Satulah.
*This is a FREE event and NO REGISTRATION is required.
10/18 Fall Tour - TBA